(Home inspectors commonly overlook and fail to detect previous water damage signs during inspections.) Always look for the following when making your own inspections.
- -Floor effects (Creeks, warped or lifted floorboards)
- -Peeling wallpaper or paint -Light brown or dark brown stains on ceiling or wall
- -Signs of mold growth: Mold can be a variety of colors, white, black, grayish brown or grayish green some have a white and fuzzy appearance and other types grow in Black or purple spotted clusters. Mold growth can hide behind walls under sinks/faucets and under floor boards so it is not always easily visible but always check under sinks in cabinets, floors and carpets, windows and window sills, air conditioning and heating vents, near water heater or furnace, basement and garage.
- -Unpleasant odors (could be mold from pre-existing water damage not treated)
- -Saturated or sagging drywall
- -Dripping water can make noises. Be as quite as possible and try to listen for any dripping sounds/noises.
- -Check the outside of your house, any standing water may indicate signs of flooding or previous flooding
It is important to note that mold can be hidden in your HVAC system (AIR DUCTS) and can circulate in the air throughout your home. This can make you very sick and unfortunately most people don’t even find out until they are already ill! The Center for Disease Control states that mold can cause illness. For example, having shortness of breath such as chronic wheezing or coughing violently can indicate the possibility of mold within your HVAC system. Mold allergies can even turn into asthma if not treated quickly; in particular children are more susceptible to mold due to the fact that they have a vulnerable immune system. People with chronic lung diseases, sensitive immune systems, or mold allergies can develop serious lung infections. Every person reacts differently to mold, however, if the symptoms are less severe while you are away from home than mold will most likely be the cause.
If you have water damage in your home, a mop and bucket will not save your investment. Having a professional company to restore your water damage as quickly as possible is your best option. At Mark’s Cleaning Service, we have IICRC certified water damage technicians that have restored hundreds of homes. We provide reliable and fast water damage services to restore your home to its natural state from water damage.